In 1924 the bowling green and tennis court were added. During the course of the building work (which was all carried out by members) a number of skeletons were discovered. Work was suspended whilst an Archaeological Society decided the skeletons had been in situ for many years and were Saxon in origin. The ground was a burial ground possibly during the black death.
The bar was moved and the lounge extended in the mid twenties. Also a billiard and small room were added on the south west side of the club. In 1938 the bar was extended by enlarging the lounge and another lounge was built.
During the Second World War soldiers returning from Dunkirk were stationed in Churchdown. Many workers from Dowty Rotol and the Gloucester Aircraft Company joined the club and for a while there was some overcrowding. It is interesting to note that in 1941 the Finance Committee paid off the clubs' debt of £1000.
After the war a complete new bar room was built capable of serving the lounge area and function room. The club continued to prosper and in the late seventies the grass tennis court was removed; replaced with two hard surface courts, and a double skittle alley and snooker room added. At this period club membership was 2000 and there was a waiting list to join.
At the start of the 21st century the fortunes of the club were not so good and it was decided that footprint of the club was too large for the membership. In 2013 the club leased the function room to a restaurant. The snooker table was moved into the end of the lounge - the snooker room becoming the new function room. So in 2017 the club is still very much part of the village as was envisaged by the founders.
MON - THU: 11.30am - 2.30pm, 6pm - 11pm
FRI: 11.30am - 2.30pm, 6pm - 11.30pm
SAT: 11.30am - 11.30pm
SUN: 11.30am - 11.00pm
Telephone: 01452 713122
Functions & Bookings Email:
Address: Churchdown Club, Church Road, Churchdown, Gloucester, GL3 2ER. (View Map)
All Site Content © 2015 - - Churchdown Club. Website Designed and Maintained by Skyfire Designs